Fish are just fish to me. "Expensive" or not, they are equally tasty. Here is the so-called "cheap" fish, Batang. Braised Bantang in special dark sauce, topped with fried shallot. Ho ho ho... I mean ho chiak (delicious in dialect hokkien) LoL Seriously, a very merry and blessed Christmas to all my friends and readers! Ho Ho Ho! :)
- 1 palm-size batang steak
- 4 shallot (sliced)
- 2 slice of ginger (minced)
- 4 tbs oil
- 1 tbs potato starch
Ingredients for Sauce:
- 120ml water
- 2 tbs dark soy sauce
- 1 tbs light soy sauce
- 1 tbs huadiao wine
- 2 tsp sugar
- 1 tsp sesame oil
1) Combined ingredients for the sauce in a bowl and set aside.
2) Heat up 3 tbs oil and fry shallot till brown. Dish out and set aside.
3) Heat up 1 tbs oil and fry the ginger for while. Coat fish with the starch and pan fry fish on both side till half done.
4) Pour sauce over fish, cover the wok/pan and continue to simmer the fish under low heat for 5 minutes until the sauce thickened and the fish is done.
5) Dish out and top with the fried shallot.