For this recipe, the squids can be cleaned, cut and chill in fridge the night before and the flour mixture can be combined and stored in a zip-log bag as well. Simply place cut squids into the zip-log bag of flour mixture and toss until each piece of cut squid is well-coated when you are ready to fry them.
- 450g squid (I used the frozen type)
- 1 cup of flour (plain/self-raising/semolina)
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp ground paprika (mild)
- pinch of five spice and ground pepper
1) Clean the squid by removing the head. Remove in-nards, beak, cartilage, eyes and the purple skin membrane. Cut into the tube into 1cm ring and the head into half.
2) In a bowl, combine the flour, salt, paprika, five spice powder and pepper. Mix well.
3) Place cut squids into the flour mixture and coat each piece of cut squids well with the flour mixture.
4) Heat up oil and deep fried calamari, in batches, for a minute until lightly golden.
5) Place fried calamari onto a plate lined with paper kitchen towels to absorb excess oil. Serve lemon lime/lemon, mayo and thai chill sauce alongside with the calamari.
Click here for a step-by-step tutorial.