This recipe yields roughly 22 ondeh ondeh using 1/2 tbs dough (12g) and 1/2 tsp gula melaka (2g)
- 200g sweet potato
- 75g glutinous rice flour
- 1 tsp oil
- 60g gula Melaka (you can shave and chop it up with a knife)
- dessicated coconut
- 1/4 tsp pandan paste
- 2-3tbs water (when necessary)
1) De-skin sweet potato, cut into small pieces and steam till soft.
2) Mash steamed sweet potato.
3) Add flour, pandan paste and oil into the mashed sweet potato and knead to form a dough. Add some water if the dough is a bit dry and cldnt form a smooth dough.
4) Take 1/2 tbs of the dough and roll into a ball between palms. Press lightly to make it flat and press with thumb to make a dent. Place gula melaka in the dent and seal it. Roll dough between palms again to make it into a neat ball. *Tips: After sealing in the gula Melaka, knead dough GENTLY in one hand by doing a clench fist action before rolling into a ball. This action makes the dough come together more easily.
5) Bring a pot of water to boil and cook the balls in it. Balls float when they are done.
*Tips: Let cook for another minute or two to make sure the gula Melaka in the balls is fully dissolved and not lumpy.
6) Scoop out the balls and strain away excess water before coating them with dessicated coconut. Serve immediately.
Enjoy! Click here for a step-by-step tutorial.