The millionaire shortbread comprises of 3 layers. The shortbread base, the chocolate topping and the caramel in between. This is the no-bake cheater's version. I replaced the 140g red sugar in the original recipe with 50g gula Melaka coz think the condensed milk is already very sweet. You may want to view the video in Cantonese here.
- 150g plain biscuits
- 250 unsalted butter (cut into two portion. 1 pc 150g - soften, another 100g melted)
- 50g gula Melaka (chopped)
- 1 can (397g) condensed milk
- 200g baking chocolate
1) Crush biscuits. U can use a food processor or simply put the biscuits in a ziplog bag, seal it and crush the biscuits finely using a rolling pin by rolling and gently hitting.
2) Mix biscuit crumbs with melted butter. Spread and press evenly and compactly in a 8-inch square tin lined with parchment paper. *I used the disposable 8-inch tray. Set in fridge for 30 minutes.
3) In a sauce pan, melt the soften butter and gula melaka under low heat. Stir until gula melaka melted and add the condensed milk. Stir continuously. Bring to boil and stir until mixture thickened. Remove from heat, let cool slightly and pour mixture over biscuit crumbs base. Let cool further and set in fridge for at least 2 hours or more.
4) Melt the baking chocolate and pour over the set caramel mixture. After the chocolate had set, cut into bars.