Tamagoyaki 卵焼き literally means grilled egg. It's a Japanese omelette, usually cooked using a specialized rectangular pan, made by rolling together several layers of cooked egg. And the fact that sugar and mirin (a kind of rice wine similar to sake but with a lower alcohol content and higher sugar content) are added, it tastes more sweet than salty. You can always omit the mirin if you are cooking for the kids and don't feel comfortable using it.
It's just another great way to present the eggs on the table, without doubt, as tasty and nutritious as any other egg dishes can offer. I don't have the skill to roll it very nicely and neatly and on top of that I only managed to do 4 layers because of the size of the pan that I used. Nevertheless, I would really love to share this recipe with you coz it's just so versatile and easy to do. You may like to check out this cute bumble bee tamagoyaki or this tamagoyaki cooked with my home-gown spring onions or even this tamagoyaki with pork floss that I had done. LoL Whatever you like to do with it. It has no complaints :P
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbs dashi stock ( I used instant chicken stock)
- 2 tsp fine sugar
- 1 tsp mirin (optional)
- 1 tsp soy sauce (just 1 tsp coz instant stock which is already salted is used)
1) Beat the egg in a bowl and set aside.
2) In another bowl, combine the stock, sugar, mirin and soy sauce and stir well.
3) Add mixture in (2) into the beaten eggs. Stir and mix till combined.
4) Sieve the mixture.
5) Heat the pan and add a lil oil and spread well in the pan. Pour a ladle and tilt pan to ensure the egg mixture is well spread in the whole pan.
6) When egg looks cook, roll egg with the help of the spatula or chopstick from one end to the other end.
7) Spread another egg layer in the pan and and do as (5) and making sure the uncooked egg mixture touches the cooked egg roll at the end of the pan.
8) Start rolling again from the first layer of rolled egg and rolled up the newly cooked layer of egg. Repeat until egg mixture is being used up.
Click here for a step-by-step tutorial.